Wednesday 7 May 2014

Diary of a World Cup Cheerleader...

Hello there yummy ones,

Oh Ive got a goodie for you today..

On the back of Australia's big win on the weekend over New Zealand in the test match i thought it would be fun to share a story of Australian cheerleader, Elise Boonstra, and her experience during the Rugby League World Cup this year.

Elise kindly contacted me at the blog and "we-gots-to-chattin" and her story really is just too flash not to share!! Such an incredible experience with lots of cute pictures of her memories to match!!

So please enjoy the little diary entry written by Elise below...

Annnnd Guurlfriends..... get amongst it - jump on the band wagon and email me for a chat - i know there are lots more hidden gems just like this out there!!


Don't be shy now. Heaven knows im not!!

Holla
xx 


Having moved to the UK to a country area away from the big city lights with my boyfirend, I was missing my dancing and particularly my cheerleading. One night on my way to a Superleague (The UK's equivalent of the NRL) game with some friends, I brought up the topic of cheerleaders in the UK. Curious I googled the topic and came across an audition advertisement for the RLWC Elite Cheerleaders squad which were to perform at the RLWC as a neutral supporting squad.


After enquiring and submitting a video audition (As the audition was on the other side of the country and the morning after I saw the ad) I was lucky enough to be selected as one of the 30 girl squad to perform at the RLWC. I was also the only non UK Superleague Cheerleader and the only international. Rehearsals were about a 2.5hr round trip from where I was living however I was more than happy to commute to the rehearsals which ran every Sunday for 2 months. When time came for performances we travelled across all over England and Wales and unlike back home most pre-game mornings consisted of a 4am start followed by a longgggg bus trip and day ahead (I think my longest day started at 4am Saturday morning and finished at 2am Sunday morning!).

Game 1 was certainly an exciting one the RLWC Opening Ceremony in Cardiff, Wales followed by England vs Australia and Wales vs Italy there was a fair bit of rivalry between me and the rest of the RLWC Elite girls for the England Australia game- You can probably guess who I was cheering for... I was also lucky enough to be pulled aside by the Kangaroo management (after they heard that I got into the squad) for a photo with some of the Aussie players after their win in Cardiff.  We also performed at several of the other pool matches and all of the quarter finals, the double header semi finals at Wembley Stadium in London and the Australia v New Zealand Grand final at Old Trafford Stadium in Manchester.



As you probably can imagine in England/ Wales in Winter is FREEZING, we battled rain and ice in our uniforms and it certainly wasn't an uncommon thing to finish a game without any feeling in your feet! No beanie, scarf, tracksuit or uniform was going to keep us warm. One of the most common things I was probably asked throughout the RLWC (if it wasn't about my accent was) "You girls look great, but aren't you FREEZING!". At the semi final of Australia vs Fiji the Aussie 'Fanatics' noticed my Aussie scarf and I was given Aussie beanies, arm bands and even an Akubra hat with dangly corks! They even posed for a few photos with me, it was definitely nice to share my experience with some fellow Aussies who again at the final were cheering me on again!



The atmosphere was absolutely electric and the experiences and memories I have had will stay with me for a very long time. I never thought that I would be cheerleading, let alone cheerleading on the best in the world in Rugby League on the world stage and I certainly wore my Aussie scarf with pride! I met some awesome girls, had some incredible experiences and to top it all off Australia won!


No comments:

Post a Comment